A Brief Note on Detroit’s Second Baptist Church

Second Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan

 

There are so many historic sites to see in the Detroit area-and most people don’t even realize they’re there!  In downtown Detroit at 441 Monroe Street, sits the historic Second Baptist Church. The building is in the city’s Greektown area. The church was the State of Michigan’s first African-American congregation and continues to be active to this day. It was started by former slaves and served as a station in the Underground Railroad for escaped slaves making their way across the river to Canada. Frederick Douglass actually gave a speech there in 1859. Afterward, he met with abolitionist John Brown in a nearby Detroit home. According to the Michigan Historic Marker placed on the building, it was the site also of Detroit’s first celebration of President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation on January 6, 1863. The Proclamation was issued January 1, 1863. The marker, itself, was given to the city of Detroit by the J.L. Hudson Company on January 6, 1963 in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the meeting.

B. Nash at Second Baptist Church Historical Marker

 Mail this post

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply